Pages

Translate

What do you seek?

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Chronicles of Signature Park - the moving, the creativity and the pantry!

One thing I can't stand is waste of food! I see food not only as the object of one of the biggest pleasures in life, but, first of all, it is the fuel that keeps us going. It is a sacred gift that millions can't afford and the humanitarian programs' statistics show its privation as prior reason of death in poor countries. So, I think every one should feel grateful for having fridge and pantry full and avoid wastage.

As I have shared with you before, I learned, at early age, from my mum, that it is possible to reuse left overs and "recycle" ingredients, - remember of the 'bread pudding dilemma'? - and I duly put it in practice!

I'm moving out of the apartment I lived for one year and will stay in a hotel for a couple of weeks, so, I can't take the remainings in the fridge with me. I have been using all tricks I know to combine ingredients and 'customize' recipes to use them up. Also thanks to recipe books, notes and the glorious internet...

On this mission, I have come up with unique and unexpected sandwiches, pizzas, wraps, salads, pies, spreads, sauces, soups, cakes, cookies etc... most of them, edible! :-)

My famous orange cake was transformed in tangerine cake and even in grapefruit cake! The second one didn't turn into my best outputs, but the oat cookies transformed in wheat cookies were precious!


                                                                                                               F. Rodrigues

I even had the chance to experiment with dishes I don't really appreciate much, such as jelly. I was never a huge fan of jelly desserts, but, since I had a small package of unflavored gelatine, I combined it with cassis syrup and chopped strawberries and now I regret I finished the ingredients and can't repeat the refreshing treat, perfect for hot afternoons...

The pumpking jam with brown sugar was particularly tasteful. I only didn't like much the dark brown color instead of the vibrant orange color it has when done with white sugar. Anyway, it goes well with buffalo mozzarella!

                                                                   F. Rodrigues

It was really fun time! I feel alive when play around with my creativity. And the perspective of having a nice bite in the end and also to sharing it with others (or I would turn into a whale before the pantry was empty!) was inspiring.

After weeks of ingredients juggling and calories shared with friends, the pantry is almost clear and the fridge will be switched off after I finish the bottle of milk... and I'll be ready to go...

... but, with new recipes to share in Terra Brasilis! :-D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CRÔNICAS DE SIGNATURE PARK - A MUDANÇA, A CRIATIVIDADE E A DESPENSA!

Se tem uma coisa que não suporto é desperdício de comida! Comida, pra mim, não é só o objeto de um dos maiores prazeres que a vida oferece, mas, antes de mais nada, o combustível que nos mantém vivos. É uma dádiva que milhões de pessoas não tem acesso e que estatísticas de programas humanitários mostram como principal razão de mortes em países pobres. Então, acho que todos devem se sentir agradecidos por ter a geladeira cheia e evitar o desperdício.

Como já contei antes, aprendi, desde pequena, com a minha mãe, que é possível o reaproveitamento de sobras e ingredientes - lembra do "dilema do pudim de pão"? - e eu realmente ponho isso em prática!

Estou me mudando de um apartamento que morei por um ano e vou ficar num hotel, por duas semanas,  então, não vou poder levar comigo o que tiver na geladeira. Tenho usado todos os truques que conheço pra combinar ingredientes e 'adaptar' receitas pra usá-los. Graças também a cadernos e livros de receitas e à gloriosa internet...

Nessa operação, acabei criando inusitados sanduíches, pizzas, wraps, saladas, patês, molhos, sopas, bolos, biscoitos etc... a grande maioria, "comível"! :-)

O meu famoso bolo de laranja foi transformado em bolo de tangerina e até em bolo de grapefruit! Esse último não foi a melhor das minhas criações, mas, os cookies the aveia que viraram cookies de farelo de trigo, estavam deliciosos!

Até tive a chance de experimentar com pratos que nem gosto muito, como gelatina. Nunca fui fã de gelatina, mas, já que eu tinha uma caixinha de gelatina sem sabor, misturei com licor de cassis e morangos picadinhos e agora lamento que acabou tudo e não vai dar pra repetir a receita, perfeita pra uma tarde quente de verão...

O doce de abóbora com açúcar mascavo ficou bem gostoso. Só não amei a cor marrom escuro em vez daquela cor laranja vibrante que tem quando feito com açúcar branco. De qualquer maneira, foi bem com mussarela de búfala!

Me diverti bastante! Me sinto viva quando posso brincar com a minha criatividade. E a perspectiva de comer algo gostoso no final e ainda dividir com outras pessoas (senão eu iria virar uma baleia antes de limpar com a despensa!) foi inspiradora.

Depois de semanas de malabarismos com ingredientes e calorias divididas com os amigos, a despensa está quase vazia e a geladeira será desligada assim que o leite acabar... daí, estarei pronta para partir...

... mas, com novas receitas pra dividir na Terra Brasilis! :-D

1 comment:

Popular Posts